Monday, June 2, 2008

Too many interests, not enough time

So I have a problem, but it is not such a bad problem to have. I have more interests than I have time for. I know we all lead busy lives, but it seems to be more and more true as the years go by.

I would like to brew at least once a month if not every other week, but thats a good few hours out of a Saturday and Saturdays seem to be pretty booked by others in my household. Plus I try to do it when my wife and daughter are not home as they are not fans of the brewing smells. (I however actually enjoy the aroma.) After I brew, at some point there is racking to secondary and/or bottling as well, so there is a chunk of (usually a Thursday since it is my other day off) morning as well. It is time I am glad to spend as the results have been improving. As I contemplate a transition to all-grain brewing I look to add at least a couple hours to brewdays for mashing and sparging and clean up, etc. Still worth it I think.

I am a voracious reader. My google reader must have a couple dozen feeds at least. This and email alone occupy an hour of my day. I am reading one book (and listening to another during drive to work time) at most times. I just downloaded all the D&D 4th ed books, so that will be a good amount of fairly critical reading. On top of all this I have a good number of books on Ireland and the Irish language, PHP, CSS and a ton of other subjects that I never seem to get around to. In the same vein, I love to write, but time always seems to slip away before I get around to it. I do however manage to get each week's gaming prep in, even if it is during breaks at work, which are thankfully plentiful.

I have at least 3 podcasts I like to listen to on a weekly basis and 2 video podcasts as well. My ipod time is usually spent on my audiobooks however. Oh and there are a few movies I have ripped to my ipod as well that I have never seemed to get around to watching.

Lastly there is fishing. The water has been far too high for my favorite fishing hole so far this year, but as the waters recede I will be out there fairly often. Since this is usually late at night and/or by myself, it is also a good time to listen to or watch things on my ipod though. Here's hoping the catfish get really big this spring and really hungry this summer - at least on the weekends that we aren't going to wine tastings and other events.

This isn't a whine post. I am glad to have this issue actually. This last weekend I actually had a great time with my daughter. We went to the farmer's market, to a yard sale with lots of irish things to buy and then I took her ice skating and to the children's museum. It was all stuff she wanted to do so nothing so much for me, but at the same time it was if you know what I mean. So how do you all manage your leisure time? I'll just be off over here buying friends as pets online and reading forums for a bit.

No comments: