Thursday, July 30, 2009

Green Thumb Revisited


I spent quite a while on my deck early this afternoon enjoying the mild, sunny day. As I was eating my sushi and drinking one of my last home brewed hefeweissens (see the pic below), I realized I hadn't posted any updates about the garden. I then grabbed my wife's camera and snapped a few pick of my limited successes.


My Cascade hops have done well. The partial crown that I was given is doing really good, growing about 30 feet so far with a lot of cones starting to form. In fact that bine is growing about 2 inches a day! The Cascade rhizome I bought and planted is about 20 feet with slightly less abundant cones forming. My other two varieties (Goldings and Willamette) did not take off very well, neither has gotten over 6 feet tall and I don't expect to get any yield from them.

The rest of my garden except for one pumpkin plant pretty much died off or was eaten by rabbits during our vacation out east. It looks like we will at least get 4 of 5 pumpkins off the lone survivor though.


Syd has been pretty enthusiastic about helping out. She is always wanting to water the plants and today she helped my prune the lower part of the two hops plants that are doing well. Hopefully she'll be there when I hit the garden with compost and potting soil this fall! (Not to mention when I harvest the hops)

Anyways, it's getting late

1 comment:

Steve said...

Gardening for beer! I love it! Why didn't I think of this? Cool blog...