Thursday, August 6, 2009

Extended Weekend-ishness

Yeah, I made that word up. I have Thursdays and Fridays as my days off from work. Due to some schedule juggling, I ended up with 3 days off in a row and have been enjoying it very much.

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time catching up with some online friends I hadn't talked to in a few years and putzing around in game. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed hearing how everyone was doing. It was a very nostalgic day in general. This worked out well since my back was acting up and a day of just relaxing online was just what the Doctor ordered as far as I am concerned.

Today was not as restful. Syd and I have a plan. She has done Girls on the Run (google them to see what they are about) for the last couple years. She really enjoys it. I have been on a diet for the last 4 weeks and have lost a total of 12 pounds so far. In keeping with my general goal of getting in better shape, Syd and I decided to start jogging in the morning with the goal of me being her running buddy in her next 5k. We are starting small, only 20 minutes, but we'll work on increasing it over time.

After I got out of the shower after our jog it was time to take Ian to get his braces off. Its been a 2 year journey with the hardware in his mouth and he was very happy about them coming off. There is not as much of the white marks that come come from not taking care of your teeth well as I had thought there might be, so that was good. He has very good teeth now, as he should for as much as it cost! In that regard I guess it is good in case he ever decides to go the TV meteorologist route.

I decided after lunch to take a ride on the bike because it was too damn nice not to. I got out on route 6 and ended up out in Amana. Since I was out there I decided to grab an oatmeal stout at Millstream Brewing. I really like that beer, their Schild Brau Amber lager (I generally tend to like ales, not lagers, so that should tell you how good that one is) and their Hefe-R-weissen. The brewer looked very busy so I didn't bother him. I just enjoyed my beer in their Hopfgarten. I was a little jealous though because they have some hops cones almost as big as my thumb! As I was walking back to my bike I saw a huge tote of spent grains on the back dock, so I figured out why he was in such a rush. I know mashing is the most stressful part of my brew days by far. I like Millstream, but they tend to be more German in influence and my tastes tend to run more English/Irish.

After I got home I had promised Sydney that she could try to teach me to ice skate. So we hopped on the bike and went over to the mall. I must say that I did pretty good for over 20 years since I was on the ice, and I couldn't skate for crap back then anyways. I managed to not fall on my head, though I never got more than 8 feet from the edge of the rink. After 5 laps my feet were hurting, so we called it quits and headed for the farmers market, then the library. Overall a very nice afternoon with my girl.

Well I am being called for supper for the third time, so I will put this post to bed now. Pics of growing hops cones and pumpkins to come soon.

No comments: