Thursday, March 18, 2010

Brewing Issues and 1st Heather Ale

One function of this blog is to be a sort of brew log for me. That's where this post is coming from. I was planning a big parti-gyle brew today, but that has gone by the wayside as I will explain below. I instead am going to make a heather ale tomorrow.

Recipe:

8lbs Maris Otter
.5lb Biscuit Malt
1lb Crystal 80L

1 oz old EKG hops at 60 min
1 oz heather tips at 60 min

1.5 oz heather tips between 5 min and flame out.

WLP001 Cal Ale yeast

Mash notes:
3 gal mash
5.5 gal sparge
~6.75 gal for start of boil
~5.2 gal to fermenter

I am going for a very clean beer, few esters, so I can see just what the heather does. It will have a nice malty/caramel character somewhat similar to a Scottish 80 shilling hopefully. I may even cut back on the EKG hops. They are old so there is not much of a bitterring charge to them. We'll see.

As for my attempted brew day today...

I got a corona style grain mill so I would be able to brew whenever I wanted. Unfortunately my hand-held drill that I was planning to power my ghetto-wonderful grain mill that I built is not powerful enough. So not only did I have to alter my monstrosity to finish it by hand, I also now cannot stir up the honey and water that I had planned to put on the yeast from my mead to get a second batch going. (My aeration stir paddles run off my drill too, and it is currently recharging.) The moral of this story is that you should buy a good drill. The good news is that it looks like I got a good crush out of the set up. That at least is encouraging.

So I am going to finish off my specialty grains here in a second and figure out how much water I will need for tomorrow, probably around 13 gallons if I tackle the mead racking too. Anyways, wish me luck.

ttfn

No comments: