Sunday, June 10, 2012

Green Thumb 2012

It's been a crazy 2012 so far, maybe I will write some about it later, but for now we're on to the garden -

The garden this year is a bit of a mess with the move, but I have 4 hops bines in containers that have survived the move in various states. The willamette, which never took off at the old house, is the one hop plant that survived the move well. It is up it's rope about 5 feet and the leaves are green and healthy. My top cascade bine was up over 15 feet when we moved, and it died off, so I cut the bines off at about one foot. I thought it might be dead for good, but in the last couple days, new shoots have started and it is growing well again. The jury is still out on the goldings. It looks okay, but is not really growing. I do not expect a harvest from any of them this year, but there is promise for next year.

We have some veggies planted too. The bell pepper seeds I saved from a store bought pepper never took off, so that was disappointing. I have 2 tomato topsy turveys that are going well though. I just planted garlic, onions and cucumbers in containers as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed on those. We might plant a few herbs too, some chives and cilantro maybe.

Other than that, Heidi's rosebush is thriving in it's new container. It has two big flowers forming. Her begonias and marigolds are looking promising too. So far so good.

The patio is a little messy from me planting the onions and garlic just now, so there probably won't be pictures until there are some results to see.


No comments: