Saturday, June 30, 2012

Weight-loss Challenge 2012

Each year my employer runs a weight loss challenge. Last year I finally decided to join a team. It's been a few years since I lost over 120 lbs on Atkins, and since I went off it, the weight has crept back on. I did it last year in hopes of running a 5k by the end of it, but I overdid things with poor footwear and ended up giving myself plantar fasciitis. This had made me less likely to be active, which in turn undid all my work last year in losing weight.

This year I decided try again, but to be smarter about things. I started by getting shoes for work, since I stand all day long. I can't say enough about my Docker's dress shoes. That has made a huge change. My feet hurt a lot less.

I joined a new team this year, and tried a new strategy. Instead of walking or jogging like I did last year, I have been swimming. I have not really been dieting per se. I have been making some better choices in what I eat, mainly cutting back on unnecessary carbs, especially white foods (processed sugar, flour and milk.) The biggest thing is only eating if I am hungry. Have I overeaten using this strategy, sure. The results so far have been good though. I have 25 hours of activity. (We only need 35, so I am over halfway there.) Most telling however is that I have lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months. As we go down the stretch here, I plan to quit the eating before bed, this should give me a huge boost, since it is one of my worst habits.

Last year our team lost first place by a quarter of a pound. So far there are 3 of us in the top 10 for individual weightloss, and next week hopefully it will be 4 out of the 5 of us. I like that it is a competition, because it is much more motivating for me.

1 comment:

MRH said...

Keep it up, Andy! I have faith in you!!