Monday, October 29, 2007

NaNoWriMo and Bullies

November 1st is looming close now, and quite organically the seed of my novel idea is sprouting. I have 2 characters pretty well in mind. Unfortunately they are side characters. I have a hazy, incomplete idea for the plot and a couple of themes I want to present. I have differing ideas on setting, though I suspect Boston will win out. Most of this gelled over the last week. Some of this has been inspired by some conflicts going on with one of my wife's relatives.

This brings me to another point - bullies. I have always absolutely hated bullies. I see this as encompassing all those that subjugate through intimidation. So yes, the schoolyard bully earns my condemnation, but a special place in hell is reserved for wife beaters and rapists. I have always believed that it is the responsibility of the strong to protect the weak. Now I know we are all supposed to be enlightened these days and not think of women as the weaker sex, and in many ways I don't. Domestic violence is a very unfortunate fact of life however.

I have seen this relative become subject to threats and harassment on a continual basis. No one should have to live like this. It's not the first time I have seen this with someone close to me, and I fear one of these times I will lose control. (I am normally not a violent guy. I am far the opposite actually.)

Enough with such depressing subjects. Just suffice it to say that I have some dark inspiration for this upcoming project.

No comments: