Friday, October 12, 2007

Tattoos

So what is it about tattoos that does it for me?

It's a number of things. I like the feel of getting them. Even the ache for the next couple of days is fine by me. Yeah, I know I am somewhat of a freak in this regard, but you should keep in mind that I am also the kid that went out for goalie because he liked the sting of the ball as it hit his hands. I have come to terms with my oddities. If you can't, too bad.

I love coming up with the design. I will never understand the folks that go in and look at the flash and just pick something. To me that is as original as shopping at Walmart. I am overstating. It's not that you can't find anything worthwhile off the rack. Personally, I'm after original craftsmanship.

So I spend literally months or years thinking about, planning of and yearning for a new tattoo. The sacrifice of saving up for it is another factor. Consulting with the tattoo artist is a fun process too. You may have this picture in your head, but this guy (or gal) is a pro that knows what will work on your body. It is a fun talk with a kindred soul. After this, you eventually get the endorphin fueled release of getting the work done. The lasting image that you get to share with the world or cover up and show to a privileged few is the metaphoric afterglow. I enjoy the whole process, not just the end result.

Not everyone sees it this way, but that's my take.

No comments: