Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Warlock from Boston

According to various quizzes from the vastness on the internet, the Halloween monster I am is a warlock (the decidedly non-pagan/wiccan warlock that is) and the city that I am is Boston. Both sound fairly on the mark at least. A question did occur to me however. Have you ever noticed just how much time gets drained on tangential web bullshit?

My wife is out of town tonight, so I find myself with a good chunk of uncontested time to use the computer. I set out tonight to connect with a few folks that I haven't talked to in a few days, and the next thing I know, I hear the door closing sound from yahoo when they have signed off. I wasted the night with blogspot quizzes, forum threads that I'll never respond to and stupid videos! All this information at our fingertips and what do we do with it?

I did see a blog while aimlessly drifting today that put the rise of the internet in perspective:
When man invented fire, he didn't say, "Hey, let's cook." He said, "Great, now we can see naked bottoms in the dark." As soon as Caxton invented the printing press, we were using it to make pictures of, hey, naked bottoms! We have turned the Internet into an enormous international database of naked bottoms. So you see, the story of male achievement through the ages, feeble though it may have been, has been the story of our struggle to get a better look at your bottoms.
I can't see as I completely object to that characterization.

Last night I was much more productive. I wrote half to most of a short story, yay me! Then I tried installing Ubuntu Linux on the crappy laptop. After an hour or so I finally gave up on the install. I am just going to have to break down and take it in somewhere I think, or find a different solution for internet connection. It's still very useful for writing though I have no way to get my writing from there to my regular computer right now. I have the whole day off tomorrow, maybe I will get something done with it then.

No comments: